Your search results

Relocating to Toronto from the UK and have questions about the immigration process? We can help!

Posted by mac_admin on November 3, 2022
| 0

If you are considering relocating to Toronto or the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) then you will no doubt have many questions about the immigration process. Here we give you a quick overview of what to expect.

Relocating to Toronto can be quite a complex process and this has been even more so the case due to the pandemic. However, Canada’s immigration policies are relatively relaxed compared to other countries which is great news if your heart is set on moving to Toronto or the GTA.


Your specific set of circumstances will determine what route you will be taking in relocating to Toronto. There are many immigration and visa programmes to consider – too many to cover in the blog alone. So it is incredibly important that you carry out your research and seek help form professionals to establish which is the best programme for you.

Despite there being so many programmes available, there are a number of options which are most popular.

Perhaps the most straightforward program is Family Sponsorship. As the name suggests, this program will only be appropriate to you if you have family members already living in Toronto or the GTA permanently. That family member can then sponsor you (provided you are a spouse/common-law partner, dependent child, parent or grandparent) although your sponsor will need to satisfy certain requirements such as being able to evidence funds to support those who they are sponsoring. The process takes around 12 months, but given the time taken to sort out all of your affairs back home, this process is not terribly long.

Another route to consider when relocating to Toronto or the GTA is the Express Entry program. This route is generally for skilled workers in managerial positions and allows you to include your spouse/common-law partner and dependant children in the same application. What’s even better, is that this process could take as little as six months.

You will need to create an Express Entry profile. Your profile considers different factors such as your age, work experience, education, language proficiency and any Canadian job offers. These factors will give you an overall score – the higher the better!

Note that Toronto is a hub for banking and finance, so if you are looking at the Express Entry route, then you will be in a much better position if you are already in the banking and finance industry. This is not to say however that there are not other industries thriving in Toronto – because there are many others!

If you are for example a truck driver, laborer or server than you will be considered as an Intermediate Skilled Worker. There are a number of programs open to intermediate skilled workers but you will likely need to show that you have worked in Canada before and you have been offered full time employment from a Canadian employer.

There are of course many other programs to consider, and the sooner you start looking into these the sooner you can relocate to Toronto or the GTA! MAC Relocation Services can help you navigate your way through the immigration process.


Once you have finally hopped on that flight to Toronto and you have obtained your work visa or residency (through any of the many routes available) there are still plenty more things that you need to consider.

The first thing you need to be able to work is a Social Insurance Number (SIN.) This is essentially the equivalent to National Insurance in the UK.

In addition to this, you will also need to apply for your Health Card (OHIP) to enable you to access healthcare in Toronto or the GTA.

If you want to drive in Toronto you need to obtain a new driver’s license. If you already have a full UK driver’s license and enough driving experience you will simply be able to hand in your UK license for an Ontario driver’s license without needing to take a driving test or written exam. The only thing you will need to do is to take a short eye test – nice and simple!

You will also need to consider where you will live. Will you be renting or purchasing a home? Will you need temporary furnished accommodations before you move into your permanent home? Our experts at MAC Relocation Services will be able to assist in helping you to find real estate in Toronto or the GTA.

MAC Relocation Services are able to help relocate you and your family seamlessly to Toronto. We offer a number of different services including the following:

  • Toronto and the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) Area Orientations – we can familiarize you with the city and neighbourhoods.
  • Move Management (Global) – we arrange the mover, surveying your home, customs clearance and all of the other details from origin to destination.
  • Destination / Settling in Services – we can help organizing things such as your Social Insurance Number (SIN,) Health Insurance (OHIP,) Driver’s License, Banking, Schools, Cars, Pets and much more.
  • Rental & Residential Re-Sale – we are experts in rental and home purchases in Toronto and the GTA (Greater Toronto Area.) We are professional licensed Toronto realtors that are experts in rental and home purchases.
  • Temporary Accommodations – We offer furnished suites and luxury furnished apartments whilst you wait for permanent real estate accommodations.
  • Departure Services – we can also help those who are leaving Canada including home sales, lease terminations, closing of utilities, etc.

If you’re considering relocating to Toronto, get in touch with someone at our MAC Furnished Residences team! As a registered Toronto real estate Brokerage, we can assist you with all your solo, family, group, or corporate relocation needs. Please email us at or give us a call at 416-222-0025/ 1-877-240-0025.

Compare Listings