At MAC Suites, “it’s not business… it’s personal”. The success of MAC Suites is due to Canada’s freedom and peaceful existence. On July 1st, we celebrate Canada’s birthday.
July 1, 1867 marked the day the British North America Act (now known as the Constitution Act) was enacted. On that day, Canada became its own country, within the British Empire. At the time, there were only three colonies. Today, Canada has 10 provinces and 3 territories, and covers 9.98 million square kilometers of land.
Many have asked what “Canada” means. It originates from an Iroquoian word “Kanata”, which means village or settlement. We couldn’t ask for a better name.
Some other fun facts about Canada:
- Large parts of Canada have less gravity than the rest of the Earth, a phenomenon that was discovered in the 1960s.
- Canada has the largest coastline in the world.
- Canada has more lakes than the rest of the World’s lakes combined. Ontario alone has more than 250,000 lakes, which contain about 1/5 of the World’s fresh water.
- At 1,896 km, Yonge Street (located in Ontario), is the longest street in the World.
- The Hawaiian pizza was invented in Canada (Australia’s favourite… you’re welcome!).
- Canada has a strategic maple syrup reserve to ensure global supply in case of emergency (again, you’re welcome).
- Sports enthusiasts take note: Canada invented basketball, hockey (no shock there), lacrosse (once referred to as “baggatawa”, “tewaarathon”, or “stickball”), and 5-pin bowling.
Happy Canada Day! Fête du Canada!